Monday, October 10, 2005

Ping!, Meet Jill

Hello I'm Jill and I would like to introduce myself. I am a recent grad from University of Michigan where I recieved my BSE in Computer Science with a focus (as much as I could in undergrad) in Human Computer Interaction . I also concentrated in painting - giving me a strong sense of composition, color, and visual balance. I really believe that usability and design/aesthetics go hand in hand.

I now work for a small Seattle usability firm where I am a usability engineer/ui designer. My goal is to make things usable, aesthetic, AND useful. Having worked with a lot of bad designs first hand, I want to incorporate a strong user centered design approach to this project with a lot of quick and dirty user testing.

I was inspired at the CHI 2005 conference by Michel Waisvisz (crackle.org) who is a pioneer in electronic music . He created an instrument that allowed him to record and then sample sounds that were around him by movement - mixing it in real time. This was using technology to experience the physical world differently. This is the way I envision technology moving. I was completely sold on this idea when I saw Hiroshi Ishii's I/O brush (http://web.media.mit.edu/~kimiko/iobrush/ you have to check out the video - amazing). This is what I am hoping to get out of Ping! . It's having an extra sense that lets you experience the world differently. A social sense. So you can go out there and even meet new people in Seattle!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home